Friday, September 18, 2009

DAVID COOK AT HOUSE OF BLUES

DAVID COOK played a sold-out show on Thursday night at House of Blues. I was amazed at how early everyone line up to get up by the stage. We hosted a private event in The Foundation Room with David at 3:30. At that point, there were long lines into the front and back of the building! David didn't take to the show until 9:45pm!
My daughter GABBY is a huge AMERICAN IDOL fan. I had her join me for the private event before the show. She was thrilled to meet David!
Overall, the show was O.K. at best. His album is awesome and the singles are HUGE! The sound for the show seemed off. Several people I was with thought the show sounded flat overall. I couldn't help but notice that even his big hits just kinda sat there. We later learned that this was a rookie sound crew. I don't mean to come off as over thinkin' it...but it was quite noticeable. We had several people call into the show this morning and mention the same sentiment.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was at this show and can attest to the sound issues. I was sitting on the barstools near the back of the room, and when he sang in his lower register, as well as when speaking to the crowd between songs, you could barely hear him. I do think it affected the show, as the people talking behind me sometimes overpowered the music enough to be distracting.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! As hard as these guys work, I hate to hear that there were sound issues -- the very least they deserve is that the audience gets to HEAR the amazing things they are doing on that stage. Glad you mentioned it -- hope whatever issues there are get resolved fast. Sound had been great recently as YT vids will attest, even at big venues. Cook and company love what they do and it shows!

Anonymous said...

I've only been to one Cook concert (in New York) and I thought nearly all the songs sounded better live than on the album (except for Light On). I really gained a new appreciation for quite a few of his songs. The band sounded really tight. Too bad you didn't get to experience that.

I'm surprised, however, that you didn't mention that David played drums for his opening act that night (a few people posted it on Twitter). I don't know of any headliner that's done that before. Very cool.

Anonymous said...

this concert sucked - the sound was horrible, and it seemed cook and the anthemic just weren't in the pocket at all. i wasn't impressed at all. he's been on tour too long, time for a break to regroup and try to put out a better album. i think the 1st was ok, but there is no song on it that really stands out - they all sound the same after a while.